Providing Summer STEAM for Ida Freeman Students!
CONTACT: Rev. Dr. John Regan email@example.com 405.341.3544
For many children in Edmond, summer means camp, trips, visits to museums, the library, parks, and a variety of enriching activities – either with families or as part of a summer learning program. But for others, when schools close for the summer, safe and enriching learning environments are out of reach.
In consultation with Ida Freeman principal Nicole Marler and through collaboration with educators in our congregation, we are designing a pilot program week-long summer camp. “Jaguar STEAM Camp” is for Ida Freeman Elementary students who are entering 5th-grade next fall. We will host the camp here at FCC the week of July 8-12 from 8:30am to 3pm.
“Jaguar STEAM Camp” will help children catch up on some of the learning they may have lost during the first month of summer, promote readiness for their next steps in learning, help them launch into 5th grade, and give them the inspiration to continue learning during the last weeks of summer before returning to the classroom.
- It’s FUN! Children will enjoy art, movement, music, field trips and more!
- It’s LEARNING! Children will sharpen math, reading, writing, and creative thinking skills needed to succeed in 5th grade and beyond!
- Siomara Davis (5th grade teacher from Ida Freeman), two UCO interns from the Education Department, and educators and volunteers from FCC will lead the children in activities each day.
- We need LOTS of volunteers to help as group leaders, junior leaders, crafts, music, snacks, breakfast, lunch, transportation and more!
- If you are interested in helping children at a fun week at FCC, join us Sunday, May 5 at NEXT 90 visioning event where we’ll have volunteer and donation sign-ups. Contact Rev. Dr. John Regan to learn more.
Posted on Thu, May 2, 2019
by Jennifer Humphrey